Saturday, August 9, 2008

Microsoft-free desktops

Microsoft-free desktops is a good concept to me, and that's what ITWire is reporting.

IBM, three major Linux distributors and their hardware partners are teaming up to deliver "Microsoft-free" desktop PCs to the one billion unit worldwide market. The cost could be as little as half that of systems using Microsoft equivalents.
The move puts even more pressure on Microsoft, already under siege from competitors such as Apple, Google and Mozilla, which continue to erode its market share in strategic areas.

Less Microsoft in my life = good. I've said and written that before, but it bears repeating.

In 2006 I got a friend of mine to switch to Ubuntu. He's loved it ever since then. About a month ago a co-worker was complaining about his computer and how he'd need to re-install Windows. I told him about Ubuntu too. He installed it on his home desktop and has loved it too. He also installed Ubuntu on his grandmother's computer. She loves it too. What's that line about old dogs?

I turned other people on to Apple computers. A buddy of mine who's back in Iraq, still loves his MacBook, which he bought when we came home in 2006. I also influenced my sister's ex-boyfriend to buy a MacBook. My cousin has a MacBook Pro, and he loves that. Especially since I set up his Mighty Mouse to right click.
At work I still am forced to use Windows-based PCs, but that might be changing from what I'm hearing.

Also about a year ago was a report the U.S. Army would be adopting Macs to combat the inherent security flaws of Windows-based PCs - U.S. Army seeks to integrate Macs.

Following Internet attacks on the likes of the Pentagon -- and other members of the military-industrial complex, such as Boeing, Raytheon and Northrop Grumman -- the Army has been working to increase its defenses against hackers, and Macs are forming a portion of this because there are said to be far fewer exploits for Mac OS X than there are for Windows. Of the Army's approximately 700,000 desktops and servers, 20,000 are made by Apple.

I haven't seen more of that, but I hope it's true. It's hard for a big organization to change its course. So that might be another reason.

It's also hard for people to get out of the rut they're in. Generally people fear change.
There are many viable and better alternatives to a Windows-based machines - Just Say No to Microsoft. Or if readers prefer books over web sites.

just_say_no_ms

No comments: